Basque Chicken BaguettesBy admin Posted in: Appetizers & Snacks Meat Recipes Sandwiches on February 1st, 2012
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: none
Total Time: 35 minutes
32 servings (can also be served as individual meal-size sandwiches)
- 1 deli roasted whole chicken
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 2/3 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2/3 cup lightly packed fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or almonds, optional
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 (about 20 to 22 inches long each) baguettes, lightly crisped if desired
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
Remove meat from chicken; discard skin and bones. Pull meat into shreds or chop (about 4 cups loosely packed; set aside. Place garlic in blender or food processor; process until chopped. Add basil, parsley and mustard; process until finely chopped. With machine running, add olive oil in thin steady stream; process until blended. Add nuts and capers; pulse to mix, scraping side of container as needed. Set aside.
Split bread sticks lengthwise. Spread basil mixture evenly on cut sides of top and bottom layers of each loaf. Layer bottom halves with spinach. Pile evenly with chicken; pressing lightly to compact chicken. Top with tomato and olive slices, then top with remaining bread halves. (Sandwiches can be prepared to this point and wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 8 hours before serving.) Then, with a serrated knife, cut each loaf into about 16 pieces, securing each with wooden pick if desired.
TIP: Meat separates easiest from skin and bones when chicken is warm.