Picnic Potato SaladBy admin Posted in: Meat Recipes Salads Sides on December 21st, 2011
12 (1/2-cup) servings
Picnic Potato Salad
- 2 lbs. medium red potatoes
- 5 strips bacon
- 1 large stalk celery, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped chives or onion
- 1/3 cup halved and sliced radishes (about 4 radishes)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- 2 eggs, hard cooked, shelled and coarsely chopped
In large stockpot or Dutch oven, bring 1 inch salted water (1 teaspoon salt to 1 cup water) to a boil. Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer covered 20 to 30 minutes or until knife inserted in center of potatoes meets little or no resistance. Rinse in cold water; drain. Cool slightly for easier handling. Peel, if desired. Cut into bite-size chunks.
Meanwhile, cook bacon over medium heat in medium skillet until browned. Drain; dice; set aside. In large bowl, combine potatoes, celery, onion and radishes; toss to mix.
In measuring cup, blend olive oil, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, salt, sugar, pepper and cayenne. Pour over potato mixture; toss gently to coat. Add eggs; toss lightly to mix. Serve warm or chilled.
TIP: This salad can be made one day in advance. Simply cook and peel potatoes, then refrigerate them covered up to one day in advance of making the salad.
Recipe courtesy of the North American Olive Oil Association